Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday 19 April 2009

So I'm looking up recipes today and planning on getting back into the kitchen. Unfortunately as much as I like salads, I either can't be bothered making them on the day I want to eat them, or I pre-make them and they go off before I get to them. So, for practicality only, I'm looking at meals that can be totally pre-made (or at least mostly pre-made) and often frozen.

An example to get your appetite excited:

Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Zest and Shaved Parmesan

8-6 asparagus spears
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup parmesan
zest of half a lemon
salt/pepper

Toss asparagus with oil, salt and pepper. Lay out flat in toaster oven and toast on highest setting, making sure they don't burn. Once stalks brown slightly and become tender, remove from heat. Toss with zest and cheese. Enjoy!


One of the things I find often with using recipes from the net is that they're usually American and therefore I don't know all the equivalents. For instance, I don't know what a toaster oven is. If anyone knows the Aussie name for this appliance, please let me know! Otherwise, I'm going to use my grill.

On another note, did you know if you put a tiny bit of cheese cornchip flavouring on the nose of a cat, it starts licking itself like mad with a huge 'smile' on its face? The whole cat ends up wet, content and purring. lol

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erika, a toaster oven is just a small countertop oven. You can use your regular oven. I roast asparagus in my oven at 425F. Enjoy your new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure to break off the bottom part of the stalks. If the asparagus is fresh, just see where it naturally breaks and the part above that should be tender and non-fiberous.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH0zZg1r440

    BTW, I sometimes bake frozen baby asparagus spears in the oven or on the stove top.

    Funny thing, the other day I saw purple asparagus spears at Whole Foods Market! I haven't tried them yet.

    ReplyDelete