Thursday, September 3, 2009

Breakfast (finish 10.30am) - Seed mixture, 200g yogurt with 100g strawberries and stevia.

Lunch (finish 4.10pm) - 130g smoked chicken in salad with spinach and celery, an apple.

Feeling good today. Actually still as happy as Larry after my weigh in yesterday! I think what I really need to keep an eye on though, is making sure I get in every meal. I don't want my body to think I am under-eating and respond negatively. I spent a long time getting my metabolism back in good working order than I'd like to keep it there.

That's one of the reasons I had the reward meal yesterday (two pieces of vegemite on toast, two pieces of fudge - that's the last of it though - and two biscuits). But it didn't make me feel good. I am trying to un-condition myself with foods like these. If they make me feel yuk (especially the fudge) I need to remember and learn from it. But I'm not.

So, being theoretical, do you think if I have X-amount of good experience with something and Y-amount of bad experiences with it, that X and Y need to be fairly similar in order to learn from it?

Another example, if you have encountered a snake once and it was nice, then once again and it bit you, you might never touch another snake. If you encounter snakes 1000s of times and they're nice, then once and they bite you, you probably would take your chances again.

Do you think food is the same? I need to feel yuk 1000s of times before I'll learn?

2 comments:

  1. Erika,

    I'm not sure those examples jive with the brain chemistry involved here. For some people (like me), eating certain junk foods "lights up" certain parts of the brain that aren't stimulated by eating healthier foods. In short, I think the pleasurable feeling, as fleeting as it often is, is more intense than the negative feeling. That's part of the reason why it's difficult to convince ourselves to simply avoid such foods. It's basically like an addiction for some people, IMO. That's also the reason why it often gets easier to avoid harmful foods the longer we stay away from them. It's a mental thing, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm you might be right.... you have once again given me food for thought ;)

    ReplyDelete